Sunday 2 June 2013

Back to my flannel chenille blanket

Now, where was I?  I was just sewing my binding on - I picked a bright purple double-sided satin ribbon for the binding, it matched beautifully with the purple dots on the cotton duck, and I wanted to avoid orange as I had so much in the flannel.

Before you apply the binding, you need to cut through those three layers of flannel - straight up the middle between the rows of stitches.  Take this carefully, as you don't want to inadvertently cut the outer layer.  Son C interrupted me while I was doing this and asked how I managed to not cut that layer - by concentrating!!

Once the binding is applied, you now have a fairly attractive blanket already:


But the final step is what gives it that beautiful soft chenille look. Wash the blanket, and all those rives of flannel fray beautifully (this is where it is so important to cut it across the bias - if we'd cut across the grain, it would just look stringy).  Chenille is apparently the French word for caterpillar, and it certainly does take on that look.

Now that it's finished, I'm not sure I love the colours.  But, I do love the look and I think I would choose a more pastel, perhaps paisley outer layer.

I hope Miss M loves it. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment